Securing your home and your family is paramount. There is no greater peace of mind than knowing that you, your loved ones, and your property are safe when you’re not at home, and when you lay your head down to rest at night.
However, securing your home requires more than just being vigilant and locking your doors at night. According to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics, our country deals with about 2.5 million break-ins a year. Furthermore, an overwhelming majority of these break-ins involve residential properties. Hence, arming yourself with a home security system is essential.
Today, we’re going to take a look at both DIY alarm systems and professional home security monitoring services. We will compare and contrast the two, and ultimately determine which is best. Without further ado, let’s get right into it:
DIY Alarm Systems
Many companies like Ring and SimpliSafe offer DIY alarm systems. These systems are generally installed by the user and allow the person to install the equipment to suit their unique preferences. Generally, the homeowner purchases the equipment and pays everything upfront, which implies higher startup costs.
Home Security Monitoring Companies
The alternative option for securing your home is to hire a professional home security monitoring service. This includes companies like ADT and Vivint. When you hire a home security monitoring company, your home reaps the benefits of monitoring around-the-clock. Also, homeowners who work with home security monitoring companies enjoy a professional installation with standard best practices.
In most cases, the home security company fronts the cost of the equipment, meaning that the homeowner simply pays a much smaller monthly fee for the duration of a contract.
How DIY Alarm Systems and Home Security Monitoring Companies are Similar
- Both offer state-of-the-art equipment with mobile accessibility. They allow you to access your camera feed or perform functions like locking your doors and changing your thermostat from your tablet or mobile phone.
- Both offer wireless options.
- Cellular and phoneline connectivity options
- Remote access
How DIY Alarm Systems and Home Security Monitoring Companies Differ from Each Other
- The #1 difference is that DIY options do not have service plans or technicians for warranty work. If something doesn’t work on a DIY system, you have to send back to company to get repaired.
- While DIY options are relatively newer on the market, major companies like ADT have been around for decades and boast plenty of name recognition.
- DIY systems incur a much larger upfront cost, while alarm monitoring companies generally charge a monthly fee.
- Monitoring services generally provide the equipment and installation in exchange for a contract, while DIY systems do not require a contract.
- Both options offer some degree of customization in regards to equipment, while the DIY approach offers slightly more flexibility.
The Best Option - Our Verdict
Each option possesses its unique strengths and weaknesses. However, after careful consideration - we have a clear-cut winner. Professional home security monitoring services provide a much safer option over DIY systems.
Consider the implications of self-installation for DIY systems. While they allow for greater customization, this potentially comes at the expense of your security. Established home security companies like ADT and Vivint provide and install standardized equipment packages with professional installation. Hence, there is greater consistency with the efficacy of the installation and the equipment itself.
Furthermore, let’s explore perhaps the major difference between the two options - which is the 24/7 monitoring. When you purchase home security monitoring, you tap into a vast network of command centers that monitor your home day and night. Should these centers detect any irregularities, they will alert the proper authorities. These centers are owned by the professional monitoring companies and not contracted through a third party monitoring center.
Ultimately, a break-in can last between 90 seconds and a few minutes at the most. When your home and your family are on the line, every second counts. You need around the clock monitoring that you can count on. Don’t take any chances, choose home security monitoring to keep your home and your loved ones safe.